Definition of Condoms:
Also Known As:
How Condoms Work:
Advantages of Male Condoms:
- Convenient and easy to obtain
- Do not require a prescription
- Can be used with other methods
- Are lightweight
- Are disposable
- Help in preventing pregnancy and sexually transmitted infections
Plus, couples report that it is easier to focus on their sexual pleasure once the worry ofunintended pregnancy and sexually transmitted infections is gone. Some men may also maintain their erection longer when they use condoms.
Positive Medical Side Effects of Condoms:
- Prevent sperm from touching the tissues in a woman's vagina. This may lower the chances that her body will produce antibodies against the sperm (This is one of the causes of infertility).
- Help relieve premature ejaculation and may help a man stay erect longer. Because condoms compress the outer veins of the penis, they can be helpful for men who have difficulty maintaining an erection.
Disadvantages of Male Condoms:
- Some men and women feel that the condom dulls sensation.
- A few men are unable to maintain an erection after putting on condoms.
- Some sexual excitement may be lost when sex play must be interrupted to put on a condom.
- Friction caused by condoms may reduce female stimulation which can make sex less enjoyable or even uncomfortable. Using lubricated condoms may avoid this issue.
- Some men are self-conscious about using condoms.
- Intercourse may be less enjoyable since the man must withdraw his penis immediately after ejaculation.
- Condoms may be uncomfortable to wear (experimenting with different condom sizesand types can help with this issue).
- A man may feel pressure to maintain an erection in order to keep the condom on.
- The woman cannot feel the warm fluid entering her body - some women care about this, some do not.
- Pre-planning is required (to have condoms ready in anticipation of having intercourse).
- 1-2% of women and men are allergic to latex condoms. If this is the case, the couple can use polyurethane condoms, non-latex condoms or lambskin (natural) condoms.
Where To Buy Male Condoms and Costs of Condoms:
Things About Condoms to Be Aware Of:
- Condoms deteriorate with age.
- If properly stored, they will be effective until the expiration date printed on the condom's wrapper.
- Don't "double-bag" condoms (using two condoms at the same time).
- Condoms come in various lengths, widths, and thickness, so a man should try differentcondom brands and styles to find out which fits best. Most packages do not indicate size.
- The materials/chemicals in your condoms could affect your health. It may be good tofind out what is in your condoms, but sometimes this can be difficult because condom packages don't readily display this information.
- Use only water-based lubricants intended for use with condoms (like Wet Gelle, KY,Astroglide, etc) or silicone-based lubricants. Any oil-based or petroleum based products will compromise the safety of condoms.
- Colored or tinted
- Transparent or opaque
- Dry or powdered
- Ribbed, studded, contoured or textured
- Lubricated — with spermicide or without (look to see if the condom containsnonoxynol-9 as their are certain FDA warnings associated with this spermicide)
- Non lubricated
Where To Store Condoms:
- The condom ruptures due to manufacturing defects (rare) or user error.
- Semen leaks from a condom during withdrawal.
- The penis comes into contact with vagina before the condom is on, so the condom is not put on early enough.
STD Protection:Condoms are the ONLY birth control method that can provide protection against sexually transmitted infections. They can help reduce the risk of contracting:
- Pelvic Inflammatory Disease (PID)